This blog post is part of our weekly "Application Insider" blog post series that provides insider information, tips, and advice about applying to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.
APPLICATION INSIDER TOPIC:
EXTRACURRICULARS AND LEADERSHIP
Our community at Anderson is defined by three core qualities -- we share success, think fearlessly and drive change. When you apply to Anderson, your extracurricular activities and leadership roles in your workplace and/or community can help to show us how you have exhibited these qualities to leave an impact on others.
Overall, we are looking for the quality of your involvement and leadership roles, NOT quantity. Your past is a good predictor for how involved you will be on Anderson's student-run campus. Did you know that our 50+ student clubs and leaders help to host 400+ events every year? Recruiters and employers also see your leadership in college, prior companies and Anderson as signs of your leadership interest and potential in their organizations.
You may have been involved in activities you've since forgotten or have had varying levels of involvement in depending on other events in your life. Here are some great examples to hopefully jog your memory (or inspire you to get involved again. It's never too late to start!):
- College athletics: Team captain? Most Valuable Player? Operations manager?
- Leadership role in a campus club, non-profit organization, sorority or fraternity
- Writer or Editor of a campus publication
- Mentor for high school students
- Orientation leader or campus tour guide
- Volunteer missions
- Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC)
- Case competitions
- Peer tutor
- Leadership role in an alumni association
- Continued involvement/role in non-profits or professional organizations
- Workplace engagement teams
- Volunteer team leader
- Public speaking or teaching roles
- Active role in political organizations or local campaigns
- Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) role
Check back next week for the next "Application Insider" blog post that will cover RESUMES!